Migrate to Canada from Sri Lanka
Many wonder what it means to come from Sri Lanka and live in Canada, once you become a Canadian permanent resident you have most of the same rights and obligations as Canadian citizens. Permanent residents must meet the residency obligation of living in Canada for 2 years in the last 5 years. Canada is a home of 10 provinces and 3 territories with beautiful lakes and the rocky mountains from coast to coast and has one of the most breath-taking world-renowned sceneries in the world.
The advantages of studying in Canada
- High Quality International Education
- Affordable International Education
- Internationally recognized
- Possibility of becoming Permanent Resident
- Multicultural Society
- Career prospects
- Reasonable expenses
The advantages of living in Canada
- Unemployment Insurance
- Social Wellbeing
- Pension plans
- Old age pensions
- Child Care benefits
- Education system
- Health System
- One of the safest countries in the world
Study in Canada
If you are currently living in Sri Lanka and looking to change your life by immigrating to Canada to experience the Canadian education system, you are at the right place! Below we have listed all the important documents that you must have to successfully come to Canada in order to obtain the education that you always wanted. Currently Canada is home to approximately 200,000 individuals of Sri Lankan descent.
To study in Canada, you must need a valid study permit, keep in mind that a study permit does not give you access to enter Canada. A study permit only allows an individual to study in Canada and they must be enrolled and going to school in order to maintain the validity of the study permit. It is very important to apply and obtain a valid study permit before leaving for Canada.
Sri Lanka is one of the countries that must need a visa in order to enter Canada. An individual can apply for TRV (Temporary Resident Visa) which will allow visitors and students who have to enter Canada.
To apply for a study permit you will need:
- Valid Passport (Valid for the duration of your study)
- English language proficiency (IELTS – A)
- Acceptance letter from the school you wish to study
- Proof of paid Tuition (Tuition Deposits are accepted)
- Living expenses for yourself
- Police certificate
- Medical exam
Students that study in Canada at an eligible institution can apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP). With the PGWP it will allow students to gain work experience in Canada that can be used for Permanent Residence applications.
Work in Canada
Many foreign nationals from Sri Lanka are looking to the western side of the world to work in Canada or the United States. Canada has many options for individuals to come and work in Canada and eventually seek permanent residence. Many international students who have completed their studies in Canada at a designated institution are eligible for a post-graduate work permit that will allow them to legally work in Canada.
Some of the conditions how to obtain work permit in Canada are:
- Have a valid study permit or Work Permit
- Your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
- You have graduated from a program at a:
- Canadian University
- Community College
- Publicly funded trade/technical school, or
- Other eligible school
- You have temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more
- You are waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada.
- If you will be applying from outside of Canada you must:
- Have a clean criminal record
- Be in good health
Federal Programs (EE)
Receiving a work permit or study permit does not always ensure your permanent residence in Canada. They are other ways for those wishing to come to Canada to work and to ultimately live in Canada. Canada has federal and provincial programs that can assist those who want to come to Canada to contribute to the Canadian economy and give opportunities to their future family.
The federal program has three categories:
- Federal Skilled Workers Class
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal Skilled Trades Class.
Each of these categories has their own requirements that must be met in order to qualify for the streams.
Sri Lankan citizens can also receive Permanent Residents through Canada’s popular Province Nomination Program called “Ontario Immigration Nominee Program”. In order to be eligible for OINP you must first meet the minimum requirements for one of the federal programs. There are currently 9 OINP streams available.
- Employer Job Offer: In-Demand Skills Stream
- PhD Graduate Stream
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker Stream
- Human Capital Priorities Stream
- Skilled Trades Stream
- Entrepreneur Stream
Streams that open sporadically:
- Employer Job Offer: International Students Stream
- Employer Job Offer: Foreign Worker Stream
- Masters Graduate Stream.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
Sri Lankan citizens can also come to Canada through the Atlantic Immigration Pilot which is another pathway to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers and international graduates who want to work and live in one of Canada’s 4 Atlantic Provinces.
The 4 Atlantic provinces that make up the Atlantic Immigration Pilot are:
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Prince Edward Island
- New Brunswick
- Nova Scotia