Lately, many international students have been negatively affected by the COVID-19 pandemic while living in Canada. More specifically, PGWP’s (Post Graduate Work Permit) holders are struggling to gain the work experience that is required for Canadian immigration. The good news is that Canada has introduced a new policy targeting former international students with expiring PGWP’s who have suffered due to the pandemic.
From January 27 onwards, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) have been accepting applications from Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) holders which either have had their permits expire or are about to expire.
The objective of this policy is to offer PGWP holders more time to acquire the Canadian job experience necessary to qualify for one of Canada’s immigration pathways. Both the Federal and provincial governments are very keen on keeping for former international students. Government research indicates that after obtaining permanent residency, former international students appear to transition easily into the Canadian labor market. This latest public policy will allow PGWP holders to obtain open work permits valid for up to 18 months.
The IRCC reports that this policy may benefit up to 52,000 PGWP holders. The deadline to apply for this new work permit will be July 27, 2021
To qualify for the policy one must meet the following criteria includes:
- Have a PGWP that expires on or after January 30, 2020, or a PGWP that expires within 4 months of your submission date.
- On January 27, 2021, when this policy took effect and stayed in the country, you were in Canada.
- You have a valid temporary status in Canada, or have applied to restore your status, or may apply to restore your status.
- You claim that you are applying for this new open work permit in your application.
- You’ve got a valid passport. The IRCC advises you to ensure that your passport is valid for at least 18 months from the date of acceptance of your submission. f your passport expires in under 18 months, the open work permit you obtain will be for the corresponding length of time as your passport’s validity period.
According to research, majority of International students want to apply for Canadian immigration, hence the PGWP is popular among former international students.
The post-graduate experience that foreign students obtain in Canada is highly beneficial. As it allows these students to qualify for many of Canada’s 100 different skill worker pathways. Express Entry, the Quebec Experience Program, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) all recognize applicants with experience in Canada.