Reunite With Your Family in Canada


Many individuals with our family in Canada have been separated due to the coronavirus restrictions. However, now if you have family in Canada, you may be exempt from coronavirus related travel restrictions. There is a possibility that individuals may even be allowed to reunite with your family members who are temporary residents in Canada.

All nonessential travelers who are traveling back to Canada or subject to coronavirus related public health measures, when arriving to the border they must show negative COVID 19 test results and show where they will stay and their quarantine plan. If there are traveling by plane, they will have to stay in a government approved hotel while waiting for COVID-19 test.

Ability to re-enter in Canada during these restrictions depends on certain conditions search as your relation to the in Canada relative and their immigration status.

Immediate family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents

If you are an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you want to reunite with your family in Canada, you must be planning to stay in Canada for at least 15 days or more. Immediate family members include:

  • A spouse or common law partner,
  • A dependent child,
  • A parent or stepparent,
  • A Guardian

Extended family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents

If you are an extended family member of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident the same requirements as immediate family members apply to you as well. In addition, if you are traveling to Canada, you must have written authorization to travel from IRCC. Even if you are traveling from the US. You will have to complete an application for authorization and statutory declaration form, that can be completed by a family member that is a Canadian citizen.

Extended family members can include:

  • A person in an exclusive dating relationship with a Canadian citizen for at least one year and has met them in person (Both must be at least 18 years of age)
  • A non-dependent child/adult child
  • A sibling, half sibling or step sibling
  • A grandparent.

Immediate family members of temporary Canadian residents

If you have a family member who is a temporary resident in Canada staying in Canada, you may still be able to visit them if you are an immediate family member. You will be required to show that your travel is non-discretionary. This means you are coming to Canada to live with your immediate family member, not traveling for tourism or recreation. If you are traveling from the United States, you do not need written authorization. However if you are traveling for any other country, you will need one.

As Canada lowers restrictions, there is more ease in travelling back to Canada. This is good news for all those who have been apart from their families due to the Pandemic.

If you are looking for way to come to Canada to visit or on a more permanent basis, this is something we can surely help you with. Connect with us today and find out the easiest and fastest way for you to come to Canada!

Book a consultation