To become a Canadian citizen, you must:
• Be a permanent resident
• Have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years
• Have filed your taxes, if you need to
• Pass a test on your rights, responsibilities and knowledge of Canada
• Prove your language skills
• Depending on your situation, there may be additional requirements.
If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may be able to sponsor your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as
If you sponsor a family member to immigrate to Canada, you must provide proof that you can:
Meet basic needs—such as food, clothing and shelter—for yourself and your family,
Support your relative financially and
Make sure your spouse or relative does not need to ask for financial help from the government.