My NorthVista Immigration Assistance Plan Through COVID-19.
work-permit – North Vista



Work Permit

There are 2 types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits.

Open Work Permit

An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:

  • who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions or
  • who regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages

You may be eligible for an open work permit if you:

  • are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
  • are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
  • have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
  • applied for permanent residence in Canada
  • are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
  • are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
  • are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
  • are under an unenforceable removal order
  • are a temporary resident permit holder
  • are a young worker participating in special programs

In each of these situations, you must meet additional criteria to be eligible.

Post Graduate Work Permit

The Post-Graduation Work Permit is a one-time visa for international students who graduate from certain Canadian post-secondary institutions.

You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.

Not all DLIs make you eligible for a post-graduation work permi

Eligibility for PGWP

  • To be eligible, your study permit must have been valid within 180 days after your school issues your final marks.

    You must also have:

    • completed a study program:
    • at a designated learning institution
    • that was at least 8 months long and
    • that led to a degree, diploma or certificate
    • maintained full-time status as a student in Canada during each semester of your study program (except your final semester, which can be part-time, or if you took a leave from studies)
    • graduated from a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college, trade/technical school, university, or CEGEP (in Quebec), or
    • private post-secondary school (in Quebec) that operates under the same rules as public schools in Quebec, or
    • private secondary or post-secondary school (in Quebec) that offers qualifying programs of 900 hours or longer, that leads to a diplôme d’études professionnelles (DEP)or an attestation de spécialisation professionnelle (ASP), or
    • Canadian private school that can award degrees under provincial law (for example, Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s or Doctorate degree) but only if you’re enrolled in a study program that leads to a degree as authorized by the province
  • Fees for open work permits
    • work permit fee ($155)
    • open work permit holder fee ($100)
    1. Employer-specific work permit

    An employer-specific work permit allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which includes:

    • the name of the employer you can work for
    • how long you can work
    • the location where you can work (if applicable)

    Most employers need an LMIA before they can hire a temporary foreign worker.

    A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. It is the employer who is responsible for the application of LMIA.

    Fees for Employer-specific work permits

    • work permit fee ($155)

What NVI can help you with

  • Analysis your case and set up specific strategy for your application
  • Clarify your questions on the application
  • Ensure to avoid omissions/mistakes in your application forms and during document collection
  • Make sure you meet up with all required deadlines
  • Interview consultation (if IRCC requires one)
  • Help you to update important changes about your application
  • Contact IRCC when necessary to inquire information or explain facts on your case

Choose a province or territory

To be nominated by a province or territory,Footnote* you must follow the instructions on their website and contact them directly:

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • Yukon

The criteria by province and territory vary and can change without notice.

Source: CIC website

CONTACT NVICall us today, e-mail us or leave a message

Get a free callback
    170 Robert Speck Pkwy #204, Mississauga, ON
    +1 (647) 660-5758

    Follow us:

    Professional Canadian Immigration Source Since 2013

    North Vista Immigration Canada is a leading immigration consultancy firm in Mississauga, Canada, with a global outreach! Our clients are from various regions such as the Middle East, Far East, Europe, South Asia, North Africa and South America.

    Copyright © NVM Group Inc 2021, Designed by AM Digital

    North Vista